Thursday, August 30, 2012

The definition of health...

In my last post, I reflected on the way we see food. This entry will be about how we see our journey to being healthier. There isn't one woman, one particular friend, or one family member -for that matter- that inspired me to write this post. It has been a long time coming.

Many of you know- and some of you won't -but I am a bit of a word nerd. I think it is important to know the true meaning behind the things we are saying about ourselves and even speaking over others.

This post will begin with a vocabulary lesson. Please indulge me for a moment; I am coming to a point. For time and patience sake, we are going to go with the primary definition of each of these preconceived unseemly words.

diet 1 |ˈdī-it|nounthe kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats 

exercise |ˈeksərˌsīz|nounactivity requiring physical effort, carried out esp. to sustain or improve health and fitness 

self-controlnounthe ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires or the expression of them in one's behavior, esp. in difficult situations 

discipline |ˈdisəplin|nounthe practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior

change | ch ānj|verbmake or become a different substance entirelytransform



Did you read anything inherently evil in these words or their meanings? I know, right? (Me, either.) And yet, the thought of dieting makes me break out in clammy hands. And you don't want to know what the word -gulp- self control does to me. But this isn't just me.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say these words, dripping with disdain, fluttering with fear, angled with anxiety. I think that our quest for health needs to come from a positive place. Instead we degrade, we condemn --we literally abuse ourselves. How do we think we can reach a positive place of wellness when we are lacing every attempt with self contempt and disgust? Self control is difficult enough without belittling the self you are attempting to manage...

So I have a new motto. I am worth it. I am worth it. I am worth it. What does it mean to be worth it? What does that look like for you? What would it take to look in the mirror and see you and the potential you have? Stop looking at yourself and seeing what you aren't, instead look and see what you can be. We need to make our journey towards health a result of momentum begun in us through loving ourselves. Each of us has an inner champion.

champion |ˈ ch ampēən|nounperson who has defeated or surpassed all rivals

I'll leave you with a definition of champion to ponder. Remember  two things in your pilgrimage towards a better you.

1. The only rival you have to contend with is you.
-and -
2. You have already won if you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment